Friday, October 12, 2007

Woman



John Lennon was killed in December of 1980. This song was a cut from the album Double Fantasy, which was just about to be released before his untimely death. He is quoted to have said that this song is a tribute not only to his wife Yoko, but to all women.

Lennon had a heart breaking relationship with his mom Julia, twice choosing to live with his father only to return back to his mother. Lennon was 17 at the time of her death when she was killed by a drunken driver. He said it was one of the most traumatic events in his life.
In May of 1968 he met Yoko Ono. Here are a few quotes about the love of his life:
"Before Yoko and I met, we were half a person. You know there's an old myth about people being half and the other half being in the sky, or in heaven or on the other side of the universe or a mirror image. But we are two halves, and together we're a whole. I am with this goddess of love, the fulfillment of my whole life. Everything we do is together, and that's what gives us our strength."

It's often said that when men and women are looking for a spouse they subconsciously are looking for someone like their parent: women are looking for someone like their father and men are looking for someone like their mother. I would have to agree. I would also add that women want someone to take care of them like their father and men want a woman who loves him unconditionally like his mother. It's probably an oversimplification but I would bet it's true in most cases.

Lennon captures it perfectly for me in this song when he writes:

Woman I know you understand The little child inside the man, Please remember my life is in your hands, And woman hold me close to your heart, However, distant don't keep us apart, After all it is written in the stars.

As I make my way through this life I've come to appreciate the many women who have been a part of my life. All my aunts and grandmothers but especially the three most important women in my life: my mom, my wife and my daughter.

To my mom I say “Thank you for loving me unconditionally. Your support throughout this journey has made me the person I am today.”

To Blue Eyes I say “Thirty three years together is not enough time to tell you what your love means to me. I love growing old with you.”

To my daughter I say “From the day you were born till today I have loved you with an unconditional love that will never end. You will always be my little girl.”

To all three I say:
“So let me tell you again and again and again. I love you. Now and forever.”

3 comments:

Lynette Snell said...

I have always loved this song. From the moment it was released. I was in 7th grade and I always turned the radio up whenever it came on. Even then, as a 12 year old girl, I recognized the adoration in his words. Your three women are lucky to have you!

Vicki said...

Thanks for lifting my morning with such a sweet post.

Stéphanie said...

i second what mrs taylor said!