Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Weekend of Music

I am told the night before I was born my mom had spent the night dancing to the Latin rhythms of the season (December birthday). I know of only two people who love music as much as I do. That is my mother and my daughter. It's in the blood.

Friday we had our monthly family poker night at Dave's house. We took a break from poker and had a karaoke night. I have an eclectic collection of over 4700 karaoke songs from ABBA to ZZ Top. It's interesting watching a karaoke gathering. At first no one wants the microphone (even in the midst of family). By the end of the night we're all fighting for the thing. Everybody likes to sing. My mom and I were even dancing up a storm during the country songs. I've got friends in low places... We had a great time.

Saturday afternoon David Gilmore from Pink Floyd had a live event from London that was beamed out to a number of theater venues throughout North America. Lisa and I both enjoy his music so we set out to I-Drive where they were showing it. It was a 3 hour show. Part of it was live and part of it was a sneak preview of his yet to be released DVD showcasing his last concert tour. It was a great afternoon of music. At first they had a few technical difficulties. This was the first time something like this was ever tried so it was to be expected. But after the first 25 minutes they seem to fix it all.

And speaking of Pink Floyd, that same night one of my old band mates was playing at a local eatery with his new band so Lisa and I headed over there to check it out. The music was ok but I felt a little out of place. Not my kind of crowd.

Contrast that to Sunday morning. Surrounded by brothers and sisters in the faith, one of my favorites hymns begins:

O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad
The honors of Thy name.

I love all kinds of music. But music that's lifted up to the creator... well, it doesn't get much better than that. Music has to be one of His greatest gifts to us.

6 comments:

patti said...

Im laughing because I am SOOO having a Karaoke party for my 40th birthday party....I knowthis even though my 40th isnt for another 7 years. While I am not a huge music fan, church music moves me to tears usually each sunday...I love all of it from the hymns to the praise music. I love that Scripture passage that says the Lord inhabits the praise of His people....

Vicki said...

I'm with you, U. :) All music is great-- it's a huge part of my life, but the music that is for the worship of our Lord... that really speaks to me.

Roses in December said...

Do they let bald headed men sing Karaoke these days? Can you come sing Karaoke at my 50th birthday party, we need a band - a cheap one that can sing 70's hits. B

U said...

50th? I thought you celebrated that a few years back ;-)

Thomas Rolon said...

FYI - Our church is having a series of concerts this fall including some old guy named Phil Keaggy (he's 56). Everything's Alright.

U said...

Tom: I'm lookin' for cheap flights. I bet the man still has it.